That’s right NICE-cream not ice-cream, a dairy free alternative that’s just as nice as ice-cream. You won’t believe it but this simple nice-cream is made of only TWO ingredients and can be ready in 10 minutes.
I made this tasty treat on Sunday for a mid-day snack as I was craving something sweet but carby after my morning cycle to Sixmilebridge from Limerick. I just got a new road bike that week so I was eager to get out on the road at the weekend for a good long cycle. Needless to say I was HUNGRY when I got home. This chocolatey mess really hit the spot. I’m a bit inpatient when it comes to food, especially when I’m hungry so I couldn’t wait for the pancakes to cool hence why the nice-cream is melting everywhere in the picture. But hey the important thing is how it tastes, not looks right? 🙂
(makes about 6 pancakes, double the ingredients if you want to make a larger batch)
1 cup plain flour
1 cup almond milk (or any nut milk, soy milk you prefer)
1 ripe banana
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
if you want you could add some carob powder to the pancake mix to make them chocolate pancakes.
4-5 frozen bananas
1 heaped tsp carob powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
What you need to do
- Blend the all the pancake mix in a blender until smooth & creamy
- heat a non-stick pan, and over a medium heat pour your mix in to a pancake shape on the pan, if the pan is large enough you can make two medium sized pancakes at a time.
- Keep flipping until golden on both sides
- Stack on a plate to cool when ready
- For the nice-cream, get your blender again and add one or two frozen bananas in first to blend. if you have a good blender you should be able to blend all bananas together, but if you have an average blender like me it won’t be able to handle/blend all the bananas at once so add them gradually.
- Once all bananas are blended add your carob powder and give it one final whiz.
- This should add a nice chocolatey colour to your nice-cream.
- Once your pancakes are cool (VERY important, unless you want a melted mess like I got!) add the nice-cream in between the pancakes stacking them up into one big pancake cake.
- You can top with any topping you like, some strawberries/blueberries/chopped dark chocolate/maple syrup/peanut butter the options are needless.
- I topped mine with maple syrup and chocolate buckwheat (which I use on everything! They added a nice crunch) Find the recipe here if you’d like to make this.