One of the main things I’ve loved since going plant based is my growing interest and awareness of superfoods that can really benefit the quality of your health and vitality. The more I learn the more I believe that food can be our medicine.
The latest superfood that I have come across and have started to incorporate into my daily diet is Spirulina.
Spirulina has many many health benefits, so much so that I needed to share this information with you all. This blue-green algae, typically grown in Africa, Mexico and Hawaii is one of the top superfoods today. Its nutritional profile is loaded with chlorophyll which alkalizes your body, B Vitamins, Vitamin K and minerals such as zinc and magnesium. It is also a great source of quality protein if you aren’t getting enough in your diet. Great for vegetarians or vegans who are looking to get more quality plant based protein into their diet.
In fact it not only is an algae, it’s also known as cyanobacteria, which is a probiotic. Probiotics are great for your digestive system, and it can actually increase the growth of other probiotics and other microbes in your gut. That is definitely one of the unique properties about it.
Here are the top 5 benefits of using Spirulina:
1) Detoxify’s your body of heavy metals, especially arsenic which is found in pesticides. If you have too much arsenic in your system then it can lead to liver failure, it has been linked to kidney degeneration. Also it’s been linked to neurological issues like dementia.
2) A study from the journal of Chemosphere shows that Spirulina protects your body against radiation poisoning
3) Helps fight cancer because of its detoxifying benefits
4) It’s a nutritional powerhouse – it can lower cholesterol, balance blood pressure & fight Diabetes
5) It helps boost your energy levels
6) It can increase the antioxidants in your body called glutathione which is critical for your health
You can get Spirulina in most good health food stores in a powder or capsule form. I use the powder form and usually mix it into my green smoothies just because I don’t like the taste of it mixed on it’s own with water. But you can drink it this way if you like. I purchase mine through Bulk Powders. If you’re interested you can also get it here.