These crispy Tofu Strips with some Sweet chilli dipping sauce are a perfect snack for any occasion. They also make a great addition to a salad. Or you could add them to a wrap with greens or crunchy lettuce and veggies.
I often get the question as a new vegan, but.. where do you get your protein from? Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese, selenium and phosphorous. In addition, tofu is a good source of magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B1.
Tofu is an excellent food from a nutritional and health perspective. It is thought to provide the same sort of protection against cancer and heart disease as soya beans.
|70 kcal||3.5g fat||1.5g carbohydrate||8.2g protein||0.9g fibre|
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the Crispy Tofu:
- 400g firm tofu (I purchased mine in Dunnes Stores)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp brown cane sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sesame seeds to top
- Press the tofu in kitchen towel or tofu press for a few minutes to remove excess moisture. Slice into strips. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- In one bowl mix all ingredients from flour through to water until well combined to make a thick batter. Add some more water if needed. The thicker the batter the better it will stick to the tofu strips.
- In another shallow bowl place the breadcrumbs and mix in ¼ tsp salt.
- Dip the tofu strip in the batter to coat all sides. Drop excess batter and transfer to breadcrumb bowl. (This can be quite a messy process. I washed my hands a couple of times while doing this as the batter kept building up on my fingers.) Place on parchment/tinfoil lined baking sheet. Do this for all strips. Use a spray oil to lightly coat the strips and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or longer until crispy and brown.